New Book - Coming November 2010

New Book - Coming November 2010
Help! My 401(k) Has Fallen - And Must Get Up!

Friday, January 29, 2010

How I Use Social Media In South Bend

Recently I thought of how social media has impacted my business as an independent financial advisor. February 5, 2010 officially marks my first anniversary of starting my own office.


Over the past year, I have put together a website, http://www.helpmy401k.us/ as a resource for individuals and small businesses for long-term savings. There are articles, links to other 401(k) related sites, calculators and budget forms to help you with your planning. These tools are especially helpful to help someone see how much they should be saving for retirement.

At that time 1 year ago, I also had a profile on Linked In http://www.linkedin.com/in/dvoelker .

However, I also knew I wasn’t using that as effectively as I could have used it.

Little did I know at the time that having a website was really one the tip of the iceberg. Over the next several months, I tried to learn more about e-mail marketing, blogs, search engines, Twitter, You Tube, and Facebook. I also learned more about how to expand my Linked In profile and improve how I was using it. I established profiles on these social media sites and others. I began writing blog articles, and added more friends on Facebook. I also learned about “breadcrumbs”, to add links to my website whenever I posted a blog, or responded to one. Breadcrumbs can help to drive potential clients back to your site.

Over the summer, I learned about another website, Blog Talk Radio. http://www.blogtalkradio.com/401kcoach. Blog Talk Radio provides a forum for creating a radio pod cast. You can talk about nearly any topic. Anyone with a computer and a telephone can use it. Simply create a profile, schedule a program, and you are all set.

I named my show, “Improving Your Financial Health”. The format is a financial advice program. Listeners can send me questions by e-mail or phone and I answer them on the program. Guests became a key part of the show also. Soon I had a diverse list of financial experts and other interesting people whom I had interviewed.

This was a WIN-WIN for both my guests and also for me. The guests were given a forum to promote their work and I also had a unique way of keeping my name in front of potential clients.

Guests have included Charlie Adams, Darin Pritchett, Kristin Harmel, Laura Rowley, Erica Sandberg, Ruben Gonzalez, and Eric Tyson, to name a few. Another thrill for me came when I was interviewed in December by the South Bend Tribune Business Weekly. Gene Stowe wrote a great article about my business and use of social media websites.
http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20091207/TBW/912059939

Recently, I have been contacted by WHME-FM (103.1) in South Bend, IN. We have agreed to begin rebroadcast my “Improving Your Financial Health” programs with a 30 minute financial advice show. The first program will be Saturday February 6, 2010. Ruben Gonzalez will be my guest on the first broadcast. Ruben has an amazing story, and will be competing in his 4th Olympics in Vancouver (luge). He is also a top-notch author and motivational speaker.

Interestingly, February 6 is only 1 Day after my first anniversary of opening my own office. Who know what social media may do for my business over the next year?

My next article will cover specific ideas I have used with Linked In.

You can contact me through my website, http://www.helpmy401k.us/.
You can also follow me on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/deanvoelker.

No comments:

Post a Comment