New Book - Coming November 2010

New Book - Coming November 2010
Help! My 401(k) Has Fallen - And Must Get Up!

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Diary of a Wimpy 401(k) - Wimpy Friends

The interesting thing about writing a book - I am learning who my friends are.

One of the things I had wanted was to get testimonials from people from all walks of life. The book was written in simple language with plenty of stories to make it easy for anyone to understand.

We all have a 401(k) or 403(b) - almost all of us anyway. Unless you are self-employed or one of the rare few who still have a pension.  

So about a month ago, I sent requests for testimonials to about 65 people. Some I knew better than others. Some were financial experts who I had interviewed on "Improving Your Financial Health". Some were friends in the financial industry. Some were friends and clients I knew locally, or small business owners. Still others were people who were involved in the project in some way. 

A few were celebs who I didn't know, but I wanted to get a testimonial from them.

In asking for testimonials, I believe that we are all very busy. I am willing to be patient and follow up a few times to get testimonials. These 'blurbs' from others can help to promote the book.

If you have a 401(k) and you aren't happy with it, and you are nervous about the future, you should read this book!

One guy (a writer whom I won't name) turned me down, but was very nice about it. He explained that he gets many similar requests and he simply does not have time to answer them all. He also didn't believe that his testimonial would carry much weight, with him not having a financial background.

Although I was slightly disappointed, I appreciated his sincerity and his prompt response.

I've also had a few of my financial heroes tell me that although they like the book and see its value, they aren't allowed to respond due to compliance constraints. Again, I respect this.

That's one way to do it. Here's the WRONG WAY!

Another previous guest on my program (I won't name her - but I promise she WON'T BE BACK!) had her assistant send this "snooty form letter" remark. "As a policy, our team focuses on content that is being published by a major imprint. We don’t read or consider unsolicited material. Should your book get picked up by a major imprint, please do feel free to reach out to me at that time, and I’ll do my best to get it to (her) for a possible endorsement."


Again, this type of chilly response really alienated me. I've lost a lot of respect for this person and needless to say, she won't be back as a guest on my program.

I am still looking for testimonials. I've gotten several very ones so far. Let me kinow if you'd like a copy of the book for review. If you want to learn more about 401(k)s and think you can write a couple of kind words - contact me and I will gladly send you a copy of the draft.

Here are some of my favorite testimonials so far.

"Unless you plan to work till you drop, the 401(k) is your eventual ticket to freedom. Your plan may have fallen in 2008 and Dean Voelker is just the person to help get it back up." -

Jonathan Chevreau, Financial Post columnist, and author of Findependence Day.

“Dean Voelker does a great job of laying out the case for aggressively pursuing your 401(k). This book presents compelling reasons for getting involved in your future TODAY, rather than tomorrow. Dean’s story telling approach takes the 401(k) from its birth through today in an easy to read and storytelling manner.” - Len Fox, author of Recipe Investing.

“Dean Voelker is a real pro. He reveals some things about the Social Security system and how
401(k)s work that I never knew. This book is short, sweet and to the point. Everyone needs to read it quickly to see if they are doing what they should to get their retirement plans back on track. Thanks, Dean for putting this together for us.” - John S. Cohoat, President of Cohoat Business Growth Advisors, and author of No Thank You, Mr. President.

Go ahead, don't be "wimpy". Contact me today. You can also get a copy of a free report on my website -
"The 5 Biggest Problems With 401(k) Plans - And How to Fix Them"

You may also contact me on Linked In at http://www.linkedin.com/in/dvoelker or Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/deanvoelker. I also host a weekly financial advice program, Improving Your Financial Health at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/401kcoach.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment